Wednesday, July 11, 2012

$30,302

I contemplated not even writing this.  It's not a happy story.  But there is hope.

Yesterday in a neighboring community a man killed his three young daughters.  Jason and I, along with everyone else we know, can't even comprehend how someone could do such a thing.  It's terrible.

Today a local business owner used his Facebook page to do something really quite amazing.  He posted that he wanted to raise funds for the mother of the girls to help with expenses.  He stated he would be downtown Hudson from 10-6 and set a goal to raise $10,000.

I text Jason on my break and asked if I should go down there.  He replied that he was already texting me to tell me to go.  So I went to give our humble donation.  We can't spare much but even a small amount is more than nothing I figured.

The entire drive downtown I was actually pretty nervous.  I wondered if anyone else would be there donating.  I wondered how my little check would even make a difference because $10,000 is a lot of money and so on.  When I got to the stoplight downtown I saw the makeshift donation center and while I waited at the light there was a steady flow of cars pulling in to donate.  I went and donated.  When I left there was a steady stream of cars.  The whole town turned out it seemed.

When I went I was shown where they were at in their fundraising.  $10,050.  I was shocked.  He hadn't even been out there three hours and the original goal was surpassed.  When I told Jason he said he hoped he could double that and do $20,000.  When I went online this evening I saw it posted that $30,302 was raised by this man, and the town, in just eight hours.  Triple the goal.

It just gave me a lot of hope.  There are still good people in this world.  A community raised $30,302 in eight hours for someone most of us have never met.  I just find that really amazing.  Despite all the bad that we are surrounded by in this world there is still hope

Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God which He has given you. Deuteronomy 16: 17

No gift is ever too small.  Our small donation, along with the small and large donations of others, made a huge difference.  Remember that the next time you only have a small amount to give.  Giving is giving - large or small.

Link to news coverage of fundraising HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment